Friday, February 1, 2019

February 1, 2019 -- Despised, Yet Loved

Hope needed to write a blog post for her English class in response to a worldview or issue presented in a movie.  We thought it might be fun for her to actually share her blog post with you, on her blog!   I would so love for her to take over the blog some day, so this is great practice for her toward that end, and we hope you enjoy a little peek into the heart of our sweet girlie!


Despised, Yet Loved
by Hope Peacock


It's been a little over a year since the movie, "The Greatest Showman" came to theatres.  I loved the music and had almost every song memorized, word for word, within a few weeks.  My mom, sister, and I even watched it a second time in the theatre, which we never do . . . it was that good!  So, why was I so drawn to this movie?  Was it the popular actors or the fantastic acting?  Was it the fabulous singing voices or the captivating foot-stomping music?  Or was it the stirring message behind the heart-warming story that made "The Greatest Showman" the greatest show?

The answer to all three questions is an exuberant, "YES!"  

However, when I weighed what was most meaningful to me, what struck me and stuck with me, it was its message about love and connection . . . you may be despised by the world because you are different, but you are loved!  Isn't that what we all want more than anything, to be loved and valued? 

The world says to pursue all kinds of ways to feel loved and valued by others . . . money, happiness, power, beauty, multiple lovers, popularity, fame, self-pursuit, whatever would make you feel good about yourself . . . anything goes!  I don't see a lot of happy people around me, rather people caught in a endless rat race of self-love and loneliness.

The Bible says that we are loved and valued by the Creator and Giver of life, not because we look a certain way, act a certain way, possess a certain quality, or even because we do great things, simply because God created us in His image and He loves and values us as unique and special to Him.

Psalm 139:13-14 "For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mothers womb.  I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well."

We're so loved by God, that He sent His son, Jesus . . . 

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life."

The movie's message that you can be loved and valued for your differences feels so good, but it is only about a connection with people.  Human love is imperfect and does not completely satisfy, as circumstances and relationships in our lives often remind us.  So much more fulfilling and necessary is the fact that you can be loved and valued by Jesus; He is the only key out of the rat race!  

I am disabled in so many ways!  My hands don't work, my legs don't work, and my eyes don't work.  I can't feed myself or dress myself.  It's hard for me to think of words without help.  I depend on people to help me to get through life on a day to day basis.  I use a wheelchair and I look different, a different that no one else would look at and say, "That girl has a great life!  I wish I could be like her!"  I can't say I blame them for not wanting to be like me; my life is hard, but I can say that I still have a reason for living that gives me joy, purpose, and hope!  My body fails me, but something that never fails me, is Jesus' love for me.  I know my need for a Saviour; I've repented of my sins and put my trust in Jesus alone.  Now, I know Jesus and a love that is unconditional and without end.  I am loved and valued simply because He loved me first!

God has placed a lot of people in my life, both near and far, that love me and pray for me, and I am so blessed and thankful for them!  They know how different I am, and yet, they love and value me enough to still read this blog seven years after my brain injury!  All I can say is, "Wow!  And thank you!"  However much these people love me, it will never surpass the love that Jesus has shown me.

So, if you're looking for love and connection, if you feel different, alone, and despised by the world around you, I hope you know the greatest news ever . . . that no matter what,




You are
 loved by Jesus!

12 comments:

  1. WOW! Miss Hope Peacock!!!! This is so beautifully written and you are truly such a special young lady in so many peoples lives. I love reading your blog post and your blog to keep up to date on your life! I remember working with you daily with Fiona and I will always remember the fun sing alongs and games we played!! Keep it up sweet Girl!! Xoxo Logan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post Hope--praying for you as ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful post, Hope! Your writing is true, transparent, joyful, and touching! Our family is blessed to know you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your very encouraging message!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well written trouper. i think you found your calling. Preacher, speaker, blogger, inspirer. And just as Jesus loves us, he wants us to be his hands and feet to. Although your claim is to have loss of use of your hands and feet you just gave us an inspirational view of how God can use us to his Glory. Hoping you are inspired to continue this journey.
    Peter 4:10(NIV)
    Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. for his purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope, that was amazing. You have a wonderful way of communicating... putting words together in a marvelous way. Psalm 139:14, "I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well." So thankful for the way the Lord has made you... love- Rainey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Hope! You have blessed me today as I read through your blog post. We were actually driving to church this morning singing “From Now On” from The Greatest Showan! We have a really enjoyed it too. Thank you for sharing your heart and these truths so eloquently in your post. I have often wanted to convey the very things you have written to my boys when we have talked about the movie, so thank you for giving me clarity on how to communicate the truth that we were all created unique and specia.l Even though the world may mock us or despise us, Jesus is for us and loves us, and He knows all of our flaws and continues to love us still. Keep the encouragement coming, Hope. You inspire me. ❤️Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope, I loved the Greatest Showman also. However, you have put the movie in a whole new light for me with you blog post. I have worked with special needs children and it often concerns me how people shun those who seem "different" than themselves. We are all imperfect, yet as you said are all loved by our Creator. You did a great job putting words to your feelings and sharing your inspiring faith with your readers. Hugs and prayers to you as you continue your walk with Christ. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope, you truly are a GIFT from God to those who are fortunate to know and love you! Your writing is inspiring! Thank you for sharing! Love Always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, everyone has said it, Hope: this is beautifully written. Your voice comes through strong, clear, and uplifting. As your English teacher, I say you earn 100% on this assignment. I am so blessed to have you in our class.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, sweet Hope! Well said! The deepest satisfaction is found only in the love of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete