Sunday, September 28, 2014

September 27, 2014 -- Hopeism

Even now as I begin to share this little story with you, I am starting to chuckle again. . . I don't know why I found this so funny, but it was the best belly laugh I've had in a really long time. . .


. . .  you know those deep belly laughs that begin silent and then make funny high pitched strange noises at the end that scare your children. . . "since when does my mom laugh like that?!?!" . . . "is she laughing or is she dying?!?!" . . . the ones where you can barely breathe . . . where your entire body is pulled into the elaborate display . . . where your stomach hurts afterwards from the extreme abs workout you just incurred. . . the mascara is running from the tears pouring down . . . those once in a blue moon, genuine joy, belly laughs that may never make sense to anyone else, but to you, it was medicine for the soul to laugh in such a sincere and unhindered way!  Yes, that was the kind of belly laugh that racked my body and filled my heart this afternoon.  I finally was able to get my uncontrollable waves of laughter quieted down enough to attempt to tell Trev the story, well more like pant out bits and pieces as I continued to gasp for air and shake with giggles.  He then joined me, tears rolling down our cheeks as we laughed together!  Gabi sat watching us, puzzled as to the immensity of this great laughter, but happy none the less to see such unadulterated joy!  Hope was calling from her bed, "What are you guys laughing at?  What was so funny?" as she chuckled to herself simply at hearing her parents in hysterical laughter, and knowing somehow she had caused it.  It was a moment. . . a priceless treasured moment that God brought to lighten the heaviness, but for a few minutes, and remind us that He is good. . . purely good!!!

You are all on the edge of your seat now wondering what on earth was said, what happened to illicit such a grand bout of laughter. . . I am pretty sure that when you hear my story, it may not come off with quite the same belly laugh that I experienced this afternoon.  However, I'm also pretty sure that you will at the very least smile, as you imagine the scene I described above, around the words that you will hear below.  I wish I could convey the tone of voice that Hope used, but you'll have to imagine that. . . if you know Hope, it'll be easier for you. . . she has a very straight-forward blunt way about her words, but that is matched with this extremely expressive tone that makes her words all the more delightful to listen to!

So a little more setting. . . Hope was in her bedroom in her bed holding a few barbie dolls that her and Gabi were going to play with once Gabi finished her painting project she was working hard at seated at the table.  Now in all fairness, Hope's one favorite Rapunzel doll has a head problem. . . it got ripped off, and so we have to keep pressing it down hard to stick on her neck, but eventually, it will fall off again (this may help the story make a little more sense).  Trevor and I were both working on our computers at the same table as Gabi. . . Trevor had his earphones on listening to music to drown out distractions while working on his sermon.  I was answering some emails.  The table is just outside of Hope's bedroom, out of sight, but certainly well within earshot.  And one more important fact, in case you are new to Hope's story . . . Hope is blind. . . she cannot see much at all.

Now here goes the words. . . 

Hope:  "Oh no!  My doll's head fell off!"

Mom:  "I'll come in and put it back on for you in a minute, sweetie.  Just hang on. . . "

Hope:  "Oh no!  I can't find it. . . I can't find the head!  It's gone missing!  Oh where has it gone. . . help!!!"

Mom:  says nothing but tries to go a little faster in finishing the email I'm working on, so I can then go in and fix the head problem. . . again!

Hope:  "I think the head has disappeared!  Oh no, my poor dollie. . . it's my favorite one. . . and now she has no head!"

Mom:  "We'll find it, sweetie. . . just a minute and I'll be in to help."

Pause for a couple minutes. . . 

Hope:  "Oh never mind!  I was holding her upside down!"

Okay, I'm howling again, and my poor husband, hard at work on his sermon still, is giving me a look to say, "You need to go to bed!"  He's probably right. . . we are definitely tired, and things do seem all the more funny when you are tired, eh!

Well, I will end with where this jolly story about a delightful little blind girl took my heart and mind. . . I can't wait to fully experience and know the goodness of God when I am in His presence some day in Heaven, just like a belly laugh that can't be explained or fully understood. . . it is simply enjoyed for its purity and immensity!!!  It made me think about how some day in Heaven, we will have the most uncontrollable full bodied and wholehearted response of joy and worship when we are finally face to face with our God . . . for simply put . . . 

He is good!!!

 Psalm 4:6  There are many who say, "Who will show us some good?  Lift up the light of your face upon us, O Lord!"  You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound.

Psalm 27:13  I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living!

Psalm 31:19  Oh, how abundant is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you and worked for those who take refuge in you, in the sight of the children of mankind!

Psalm 34:8  Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!  Blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!

Psalm 100:5  For the Lord is good; His steadfast love endures forever, and His faithfulness to all generations.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment